Accessiblenatureuk is intended to be a useful - factual resource aimed at helping people who are dependant on a mobility / power chair, electric propelling unit such as a Batec, Triride, Klaxon or similar, freewheel and self propelled wheelchair to access the natural world and nature. Written by Peter Lau ( himself a T6 paraplegic and full time wheelchair user since April 2014). Peter wanted to get back out and resume his love of the natural world, experience it fully and develop his wildlife photography skills.
The information contained on this site is available FOC in the hope that you too can better access wilder places and our wonderful country. The information you will find is based on Peter's own findings from visits he has made.
To find the routes head to the top of the home page, and click on either 1) Cromwell Bottom, or 2) Denso Marston or click on more to reveal more routes.
For an interactive location map - please click on this link.
Routes added so far -
1) Cromwell Bottom Nature Reserve Elland. West Yorkshire.
2) Denso Marston Nature Reserve, Baildon. West Yorkshire.
3) Harewood House Loop, Leeds. West Yorkshire.
4) Adel Dam & Golden Acre Park, Leeds. West Yorkshire.
5) Potteric Carr Nature Reserve, Doncaster. S Yorkshire.
6) Swintsy & Fewsten Reservoirs, Nr Harrogate. N Yorkshire.
7) Askham Bog Nature Reserve, York. N Yorkshire.
8) Rodley Nature Reserve, Leeds. W Yorkshire.
9) St Aidens RSPB Nature Reserve, Allerton Bywater, Leeds. W Yorkshire.
10) Scout Dike Reservoir, Sheffield ( Barnsley). S Yorkshire.
11) Ingbirchworth Reservoir, Barnsley. S Yorkshire.
12) Bempton Cliffs, Bempton. E Yorkshire.
13) East Marton Linear route, Nr Skipton. N Yorkshire.
14) Dove Stone Reservoir, RSPB, Greenfield, Nr Manchester.
15) Middleton Park & Urban Bike Park, Middleton, Leeds. W Yorkshire.
16) Kirkstall Abbey & Tea Rooms, Leeds. W Yorkshire.
17) Dearne Valley, RSPB Old Moor, Wombwell. S Yorkshire.
18) Mere Sands Nature Reserve, Lancashire Wildlife Trust, Ormskirk, Lancashire.
19) Clumber Park, National Trust, Worksop, S80 3AZ. S Yorkshire.
20) Kielder Water, Kielder Forest Park, Hexham, NE48 1ER.
21) Rothwell Country Park, Bullough Lane, Rothwell Collery, Leeds, LS26 0JY. W Yorkshire.
22) St Ives Estate, Bingley, West Yorkshire.
23) Ogden Country Park, Halifax, West Yorkshire.
24) The disused Railway Dogellau to Barmouth, Wales.
25) Monsal Trail, Derbyshire.
26) Tissington Trail, Derbyshire.
27) Spurn Point & Kilnsea Wetlands, Hull.
28) Formby Nature reserve, Liverpool.
29) Temple Newsham Estate, Leeds, West Yorkshire.
30) Dunham Massey Grounds & Gardens, Nr Manchester.
31) Centenary Riverside, Rotherham. S Yorkshire.
32) Lyndon & Rutland Water, Notts.
33) Ripon Wetlands Nature Reserve.
34) Trans Pennine Trail, Wortley to Penistone. S Yorkshire.
35) Sherwood Forest Park, Mansfield, S Yorkshire
36) Fountains Abbey & Studley Royal, Ripon. N Yorkshire.
37) Fairburn Ings, Nr Castleford. W Yorkshire.
38) Leighton Moss RSPB , Carnforth.
39) Castle Hill, Huddersfield.
40) The Strawberry Line, Yatton, Somerset.
41) Two Tunnels, Bath, Somerset.
42) Foxgloves Covert, Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire.
43) Bolton On Swale YWT Nature Reserve, Catterick, North Yorkshire.
44) North Cave Wetlands, Near Beverley, East Yorkshire.
45) Blacktoff Sands RSPB, Lincolnshire.
46) Bristol to Bath Cycle Path, Bristol.
47) Avon Trail, Conham.
48) Frampton Marsh RSPB,
49) Attenborough Nature Reserve, Nottingham.
50) Brockholes Nature Reserve, Nr Preston.
About me, the author.
My passion has always been about nature and our natural world. To get my fix I travelled all around the world with my family and friends - scuba diving, mountain biking, kayaking, running, walking, we visited and experienced amazing places and wildlife. We were so privileged.
Then one day in April 2014 everything changed. A crash on my mountain bike led to my fight for life, then my fight to reinvent myself. Not only had I lost my beloved career in the British Fire Service but every hobby that I spent my time pursuing.
I had to relearn how to live life as a T6 paraplegic, paralysed from the chest down and reliant on a wheelchair for mobility. Suffering constant tremendous nerve pain as a result of my severed spinal cord, but also having to come to terms of my new situation. Depression and a struggle with medication, as well as mental health all adding to my / our battle.
I am and remain fully appreciative that my wife who works in the NHS is very supportive. She helps me get on with life and makes sure I push myself to the limits I can achieve by encouragement. Beloved family members and great friends also help me if I need it, a difficult thing to accept help but I soon realised that if I want to get the most out of life then help must at times be an integral part of it.
I appreciate I am so very fortunate to have a Batec Scrambler - an electric powered wheelchair attachment that has provided me with a way to explore the wonderful places I can now reach. I can cover a lot of miles - taking with me a quite heavy camera and lens. My Batec was bought and is maintained by Cyclone Mobility, it gives me my independence and freedom. A standing joke with Cyclone Mobility is my track record of abusing my equipment - It and I go far - across what you would often think is ridiculous terrain for someone in a wheelchair - a Batec and I have many thousands of miles under our belt- finding these routes doesn't always go to plan. I owe a debt to a number of strangers who after a joyful and perhaps over enthusiastic bit of route finding research outing I have ended up on the floor! So please be assured the routes on this site are tested and quite safe.
I have come a long way since my accident in 2014, achieved much and continue to develop my new norm.
A huge part of my rehab has been keeping busy and occupying my mind - learning new skills such as photography as well as improving my knowledge base of land and air dwelling nature. It is this that has led me to create Accessible Nature UK, please enjoy.